More Europe - Paris Debate
Culture and European identity
This seminar, co-organised with the Institut français, discussed culture and the European identity: what does being European mean in today's world? can creativity and cultural innovation participate in shaping a European identity? can there be a common European cultural diplomacy?
- opening speeches
- Xavier Darcos, Executive President Institut français
- Delphine Borione, Director of Culture & Education, French Ministry of Foreign Affairs & Vice-President of EUNIC Global
- Christopher Miles, Vice-President Secretary General of the French Ministry of Culture and Communication
- Julia Kristeva, Writer, Psychoanalyst, Professor Emeritus Paris-Diderot University, patron of MORE EUROPE
- "What does being European mean today?"
- Michel Le Bris, writer & director "Étonnants voyageurs" book festival
- Luc Lévy, International relations officer, Shoah Memorial in Paris
- Radu Mihăileanu, film director & screenwriter, patron of MORE EUROPE
- Sebastian Körber, Deputy Secretary General ifa (Institut für Auslandsbeziehungen)
- Alain Fohr, Cultural Councelor & Director Institut français Spain
- moderated by Laurence Auer, Secretary General Institut français
- "How can we highlight European cultural creativity and innovation?"
- David Fajolles, Head of Research & prospectives department, French Ministry of Culture and communication
- André de Margerie, Director of International relations ARTE France, Head of International relations ARTE
- Gérald Grunberg, Director of International relations, Bibliothèque Nationale de France
- Malte Bergmann, sociologist & researcher in urban development
- Pierre Giner, artist
- Laurent Burin des Roziers, Cultural Councelor & Director Institut français United Kingdom
- moderated by Pier Luigi Sacco, Professor Cultural Economics, Dean of Arts, Markets and Heritage Faculty, IULM University Milan
- "Towards a common European cultural diplomacy?"
- Henning Schulte-Noelle, chairman Board of Allianz
- Delphine Borione, Director of Culture & Education, French Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Vice-President EUNIC Global
- Ruth Ur, Head of Arts & Development, British Council
- Alban Corbien-Labasse, Executive Director Institut français Dakar & President EUNIC Senegal
- Rod Fisher, Director, International Intelligence on Culture Agency
- Katherine Watson, Director, European Cultural Foundation
- moderated by Damien Helly, Senior Research Fellow European Union Institute for Security Studies
Read the report and thoughts of MORE EUROPE's expert on the debate and watch our video here:
Documents from the More Europe - Paris debate: